This is my post on how to make decoupage pots. This is a great activity it is super cheap, easy to do and you will end up with beautiful decoupaged pots at the end of it to either use to put pens in or use as flower pots.
What you will Need
- Tin Cans
- Mod Podge
How to Make Decoupage Pots
- First, collect some tin cans and make sure to wash them out thoroughly and remove the label. I found it is best to use the ring pull cans as they are not as sharp around the ring as the tins that have been opened with a tin opener.
- Get a napkin and peel the layers away until you are left with 1 ply thick napkin with the pattern on. We got our napkins from Aldi for 99p which is a bargain if you can not find any nice napkins in the shops you can buy them in decoupage packs on Amazon that have pretty designs.
- Cover the outside of the tin can with a layer of Mod Podge. Beware that the inside lip of the tin will be sharp and it is very tempting to put your hand inside to turn the tin when putting the glue on and you may cut your fingers.
- Carefully stick the thin napkin layer around the tin. This can be a little bit fiddly to get it on straight without ripping. My finished tin ended up with a couple of rips in but my 10-year-old daughters tin was perfect.
- Leave to dry for about 30 Minutes
- You can then either cut off the excess napkin from the top or I decided to cover the inside in Mod Podge especially around the rim and fold the rest of the napkin inside. If you are going to make your tin into a pen pot I would suggest doing this as it will look nice inside but it will also cover the rough inside rim.
- Cover the whole of the outside of the pot in another layer of Mod Podge. If you tucked the napkin inside the tin as well give that another coat in mod podge too.
- If you are going to be using as a flower put for outside I would put another layer of Mod Podge on to ensure it is sealed. You will also need to make small drainage holes in the bottom.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Take a look at my other kids craft posts –
- Kid’s Christmas Craft Ideas – Handmade Christmas DecorationsHere are some of the Kid’s Christmas Craft Ideas that we have enjoyed over the …
- Cosmourse Virtual Art Classes ReviewWe were so lucky to be gifted these children’s virtual art classes from Cosmourse for …
- Upcycle old tins – How to make Decoupage PotsThis is my post on how to make decoupage pots. This is a great activity …